Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Feelings & Beliefs

I am struggling too some days on Kimkins (especialy last night). The struggles are no different to any diet I've been on before. But now I have some tools to teach me to deal with issues that come up.

Yesterday I was spending some time listening to Brooke Castillo's audiobook If I'm so Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? I am trying to focus more on feeling my feelings, instead of just eating to cover them up. ('cos if I'm berating myself afterwards about overeating I am certainly not feeling lonely, bored, angry, fearful, you fill in the blank...which is obviously the point, but I'm not dealing with my emotions effectively, I'm just gaining pounds!) Apparently by sitting there and studying the feeling you will uncover eventually the belief that underlies the feeling. The belief is probably wrong and outdated, and so the idea is to change the belief, update it so to speak, and thus change the feeling - all without touching food and beating oneself up. Sounds easy, but it is hard. I do not like some of the feelings and beliefs that doing this so far has brought up for me. And what I am coming across is going to take some working with. But it is a step in the right direction.