Monday, August 13, 2007

Learn what to do when you lapse, cheat, slip, or fall off your diet

We've all had lapses (aka cheats, slips, falling off) during a diet. A lapse can be seen as a failure, a real crisis. It can also be seen as an opportunity. Researchers in the field of relapse prevention have found that the most dangerous period is the time directly following the lapse. Here are six things recommended by experts that you can do right after a lapse.
Stop, look, & listen Pay attention to what's happening. The lapse is a warning sign. Take yourself away to a quiet spot so you can get yourself together.
Stay calm You'll be upset at first, and that's okay. But remember, this is just a slip, not a total relapse.
Strengthen motivation Instead of giving up, think back over why you want to lose weight. Remember your goal and what it will bring to your life. Consider the strides you've already made.
See what led up to the lapse Carefully consider the situation surrounding the cheat. That will tell you about what in your life you need to attend to.
Make a plan of immediate action Get rid of any food tempting you at the moment. Get yourself away from the kitchen or the restaurant, or if possible, wherever the slip occurred. See if you can do something for yourself at this juncture that will be an alternative to eating.
Ask for help - from friends, family etc. You'd be surprised how much people who care about you can do (encouragement, suggestions, support)

My thoughts ....
Stop, look, & listen Hard to wander off when lapse is at home. But I threw away extra bars. It was a storm eat. I couldn't stop myself.

Stay calm This is just a slip. This is just one day. I am standing on the top of a balance beam. I am about 1/3 of the way across. I am looking back, and off to the sides. It is a long way down and I'm scared I'll fall. I need to look straight ahead, to the end of the beam. Look at my destination. Not look at the ground I've covered as I feel unsteady looking backwards over my shoulder. And not look down as I feel like I a going to fall. I need to look straight ahead.One step at a time.

Strengthen motivation I am going to put my arms out for balance, and look straight ahead. Take one step at a time. I need to lose weight for my health. I have already lost so much weight, and I stayed on task during some very stress-filled days! I can do this. I love how I feel in ketosis, in control & excited to see the scales moving down.

See what led up to the lapse Bars were on table. I had not planned my meals. I've been getting slack about that, as well as about using fitday. DH was around (off schedule) I had no protein powder to fill myself up with. (has worked in past)

Make a plan of immediate action I threw away extra bars. Trash put outside too. Drank some glasses of water. Did not eat dinner. Not hungry. Stopped whipping myself and beating myself up. Need to not have this sort of stuff in house EVER! Need to sort out food plan for next few days. Need to order some protein powder FAST.

Ask for help I decided to think about things and write my thoughts down. It wasn't enough 'during' the lapse to think of all the reasons for not cheating. My mind wasn't interested in that conversation! I know I cannot do this alone. So that is why I am here .....