Monday, August 27, 2007

Kimkins Inspiration

I found the following post on a blog somewhere out there in low carb land and I'd saved it. It was inspiring, and since I came across it today again and was further inspired I thought I'd share it - and inspire all of us!

After my last entry, I took a hard look at myself, my diet, and my goals to see if I could find the secret of why I was sabotaging myself. While I could not find just one reason to report here, apparently my soul searching paid off. I have now been almost 20 days without cheating on my Kimkins eating plan!

And it's working! I've lost almost 30 pounds!

Of course I knew that it would work, for it was not Kim or her plan that fell short.

On her site, Kimmer says that the diet is simple and easy. She's right -- the diet is very simple, and it is easy as far as buying, cooking, and following the plan are concerned. But it's not "easy" -- at least not for people like me. We have not only the weight to lose, but also our fears, our excuses, our preconceptions, and our need for instant gratification.

Let me be brutally honest: Kimkins is one of the strictest diets that I have tried. There is no cheating on this diet! The minute I cheat the weight loss comes to halt, the cravings return. But the good news is that the Kimkins approach is amazingly successful when one abstains from cheating. And I believe that Kimkins provides the best environment for making a journey toward total commitment to getting a handle of your weight, by providing support for your physical, spiritual and psychological journey. I believe that anyone who honestly takes that journey will eventually find themselves happily eating to the Kimkins plan and losing weight.

For people like me, carbs are an addictive substance, and a mind-altering one. Carbs rob me of my self-discipline and self-respect and keep me self-medicating with food. In this I liken myself to an alcoholic or drug addict. Kimkins has provided a safe place for me to clear my body of mind-fogging carbs so that I CAN look at the psychological, physical, and spiritual reasons for overeating/staying fat. There is no venting you can do on Kimkins that others have not felt or heard about before. The other members graciously share their wisdom, empathy, and encouragement. Kim herself is ever-present. There is no shame in falling short or falling down; you're simply encouraged to get back to your feet and get back on the path.

I stumbled and fell off the diet and scrapped my way back to being what I call "Kimkins Clean" a number of times since October. Each time, I learned something about myself, my body, or my addiction to carbs. Now, when I fall, I'm back on the path in a day instead of wallowing in carbs for three weeks. For the first time, I look ahead and have the courage to make the following commitment: "When 2007 ends, I'm going to be 120 pounds lighter!" For the first time, I really feel that I have a chance of attaining that goal.