Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Secret to Success

The secret or key to success, long-term, is recovery. How do we handle damage-control? How do we make course corrections?

Do we fall into perfectionistic thinking - "Oh, well, I blew it, so I might as well eat the whole world while I'm at it" ?
Do we fall into despair, whip ourselves emotionally, and eat for punishment and comfort for our perceived failure as a human being?
Do we slip and slide to the bottom until something breaks our fall - bedtime, Monday morning, a magic number back on the scale again, a certain degree of self-loathing?
Do we play mental games, indulge the patterns of childhood, tell ourselves we've been 'deprived' of good things and we 'deserve' food rewards now?

NO! Those are all mentally and emotionally unhealthy things to do, and part of what we must adjust is how we talk to ourselves, how we relate to food and ourselves, and how we continue to make good choices and keep moving forward. This is not something we try, break, and abandon. This is our life, our health, our future. This is just a series of choices - some good, some not so good - that lead us to our desired outcome.

IT'S NOT HOW MANY TIMES WE FALL, BUT HOW MANY TIMES WE GET BACK UP THAT MAKES US SUCCESSFUL! That is one of my favorite thoughts.... I'm always telling myself, "GET UP GET UP GET UP... DON'T STAY DOWN... DON'T THINK ABOUT YESTERDAY ... LOOK FORWARD... PUSH AHEAD... GET UP GET UP."

There is no yesterday...only the here and now. This very moment. We are always going to be faced with temptations. I am the first one that will admit, I know that someday I will fall again. But, I plan to get right back up. I spent too much of my life falling and not getting back up. I stayed and wallowed in it for way to long. Not any more. My motto from now on: Yesterday is behind me and I am determined to not screw up from this point onward.