Friday, June 22, 2007

It’s just not fair!

Today is my second day where the number on my bathroom scales has remained the same. There’s a part of me very pleased that it has not increased but I am also very disappointed to not see a loss. OK I’ll be honest: I am more than just very disappointed, I am frantic. I am still keeping my carbs low despite noticing that I am hungrier than I was this time last week.

Women around the world understand exactly what I am dealing with, because each of us suffers from annoying “bloating” on a monthly basis. I remember reading about the underlying hormonal reasoning for this water weight gain somewhere, that the drop in progesterone that naturally occurs the week before menstruation can make your body retain water. It’s just not fair!

British physician Katharina Dalton, who has researched PMS for 45 years, has suggested that the problem is related to the fact that when women have PMS, their blood sugar levels may fluctuate abnormally--which indirectly leads to bloating. (This makes sense to me because even on Kimkins I’ve noticed my appetite has returned and I am hungrier this week!) In her book, Once a Month, Dr. Dalton says that when a person doesn't eat for many hours, blood sugar gets very low. This causes the body to release adrenaline, which signals the body to let go of some of its stored sugar from cells in order to balance out the blood sugar. When sugar is taken from the cells, they fill up with water, and this is what causes the bloating, weight gain and water retention symptoms in those with PMS. In women with PMS, the body reaches the point when it will release adrenaline a lot sooner than it does in other women, Dr. Dalton notes. (So does that mean I should see a “Whoosh” as soon as my period is done?? Now that would make all of this worth it.)

Other experts see a sodium link. When your blood breaks down progesterone--as it does a week before your period--your kidneys are prompted to retain both water and sodium. At the same time, a powerful water-retaining substance called anti-diuretic hormone may also be released, further influencing your body to hold onto fluids. (So basically just before my period starts the delicate balance of sodium & potassium and of course water gets messed up, so my body wants to hold onto as much water as it can, or so it seems! Again, that's just fine and dandy - as long as the minute my period starts I better lose all that excess water, or else!)

Maybe I need to consider using a diuretic to rid myself of this extra water weight? Reading about over-the-counter diuretics I've discovered that while they seem that they might temporarily alleviate the bloat, they could in turn cause more water retention because they may also drain potassium from your system and cause some side effects like weakness, confusion, heart palpitations and increased blood sugar levels. A more natural diuretic is adding a little lemon juice to a glass of water. No side effects from that. Just a few carbs so I think I’ll stick with the lemon juice.

Speaking of weight fluctuations – a topic so widely discussed on our Kimkins forum and many other weightloss forums in general, not just low-carb. Maybe having a daily weigh-in is not always a good idea. Your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds from one day to the next. The adult body is about 60% water, so small changes in water balance can easily alter body weight. What you eat can also influence how much water your body keeps. If you eat a very salty meal, your body will retain extra water for 1 or 2 days to keep your body fluids from being too salty. Afterwards, your body will get rid of both the extra salt and water through your urine. Instead of weighing, you can rely on how you feel and how your clothes fit.

But to be honest we are all going to keep weighing ourselves daily, aren’t we? I know I probably will. I just need to step back and appreciate the intricate processes going on within my body, and allow my body to catch up with my weightloss so far.