Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Bathroom Scale

When you "cheat" while you are following a low carb plan, there is often considerable rebound weight gain. The gain is obviously "water" and unfortunately we get too hung up on the figure on the scale. Any excuse to beat ourselves up!

When you believe a piece of metal (a scale) has the power to make you feel happy or sad, you are confused.
It is your story about what that number means causing the emotion.


~ from "If I Am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight" (Brooke Castillo)

My bathroom scale is a personal reference point. It does not dictate how I feel today. I started at XXX lbs and my goal is x lbs. Whether I lose this weight faster than or slower than anyone else doing Kimkins is irrelevant. I need to stop comparing myself to others. I need to remember that on any other "diet" I'd be lucky to lose 20 lbs in 6 months. This is super fast weight loss. I've lost 20+ lbs in less that 1 month.

Looking through threads on the Kimkins forum I am constantly reading "I've cheated", "I've been bad" or "I ate off plan" and then all the self loathing and personal butt-kicking follows in the post.

Aren't we forgetting that we are human? Aren't we forgetting that (for most of us on this thread) we are within the 6 weeks that it's said takes to create a new habit? Aren't we forgetting that sometimes Sh!t happens, and we do the best we can?

I think we need to take a step back and give ourselves a hug. If you ate something that perhaps in hindsight wasn't 'on plan' why not be kinder to yourself. Why purposefully get onto the scale just to punish yourself further??? I'm not talking about total denial, but ease off on yourself for a day or two. Figure out why it happened. If it was under your control, figure out how to not let it happen again. If it was not under your control, take a deep breath and move forwards. Don't weigh yourself for a day or two. Get your focus back onto eating high protein, low carb.

Every journal I've read on Kimkins shows decreases on the scale but there are often increases along the way. The successful ones (meaning those who have met goal) have found a way to handle these setbacks gracefully, without letting themselves quit. Each one has stepped back, regrouped and rebooted!