Sunday, July 1, 2007

Starting Afresh

Melodie, an amazing lady on one forum I'm active on, had an interesting post this morning which got me thinking. Like me, she is heading into her 4th week on Kimkins and she is "dreading the week that will inevitably appear with no progress." She has challenged us all to start afresh with Kimkins, pretend that we are newbies again all full of excitement and sticking tightly to the rules.

She wrote, "On Monday (best day of the week to start new things) I'm going to pretend that I've just heard of Kimkins. I'm going to reread some of the success stories as if I've just read them for the first time. I'm going to go to the grocery store as if I'm preparing for this new diet. I'm going to forget that I've lost nearly 10 lbs. and think about my new weight as if it is my starting weight. I'm going to follow the rules in the same way I did the first week, and I'm going to try to forget the little things I've done off program that so far I've been able to get away with. I'm going to repeat the exact behavior that got me my first 5 lbs, and I'm going to fill myself up with hope once again. So Short Girls if you're stuggling, and even if you're not, make this Monday a whole new beginning with a renewed mindset about what you can do."

What a wonderful idea! I agree with the feelings of slacking that have started to set in especially this past week. I did a quick refresher with the Kimkins Diet Food List.

My thoughts:

Keep It Lean & Mean on Plan (KLMOP)
Eggs - limit yolks
Chicken & Turkey - white meat only, eat this more often
Fish - eat this more often
Beef, Lamb, Pork - special occasions only
Ham, Canadian Bacon, Bacon, Sausages etc - special occasions only 'cos these all contain beef & pork

Vegetables
I'm not a vegetable eater, but if I do eat some I think I'm more likely to eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, pepper & tomato rather than the rabbit food list (1) so I will have these sparingly, like every second day or as garnishes.

Extras
Low carb protein shakes - I will limit to one per day
Part skim string cheese (limit 1 per day) - I do not like string cheese. I will add Light Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese Bites (1 serving = 5 pieces 35 calories, 2g fat, 1g carb, 3g protein) or use a little grated parmesan cheese (1T has 21 calories, 1g fat, 0g carb, 2g protein) if needed to perk up eggs
Dannon Carb & Sugar Control yogurt (3 carb brand, limit 1 per day) & Sugar free gelatin (limit 4 oz per day, no whipped topping) & Homemade or purchased sugar free popsicle - since I really could care less about these things (right now) I will save these for extra special occasions.


Also - here's a thought on the Daily weighing issue. Firstly I think we are all agreed that food needs to be weighed. According to a Duke University pro quoted in WW magazine 7/10/2007 issue - "We've found that when you stop weighing yourself, it's an early indicator that you're starting to slip." So maybe daily or regular weighing oneself is good - if it keeps us on track! As long as we accept that our weight might fluctuate by a few pounds every so often. If all of a sudden the scales just up more than 3 lbs - then that should set off the alarm bells. I'm still against weighing more than once each day. But if you really have to do it more often, don't beat yourself up over the fluctuations. I'm sure the scale finds it all very amusing, and probably jumps up a pound or two just to see your reaction!

Exercise - I am thinking that I need to do something NOW so that I can start firming up the lose skin. I think I've read somewhere that every cell in my body replaces itself in three months. That means skin cells too. So in my opinion, I should not get stretched loose skin if I firm up my muscles while I am losing fat.


Focus + Planning = Control --> SUCCESS
Weight control is not about willpower.
It is the decision and commitment to manage calories and carbohydrates.
It can be as simple as mind over matter.
Just do it, for life, and enjoy health, happiness and THIN!