Saturday, July 14, 2007

Fears & Doubts

Yesterday Jimmy Moore (from "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb") posted on his Kimkins journal thread about the flak he is getting from people about his involvement with Kimmer & Kimkins:
It seems my enthusiastic support for Kimkins has enraged some people I consider friends to the point that they are cutting off ties to me and my blog.

Their "concerns" over Kimmer and Kimkins have caused them to think I've "sold out" (what the heck does that mean anyway...what have I "sold"?) and lost my mind for supporting Kimkins. They think I should distance myself from Kimkins because it is based on a "fraud" (describing Kimmer) and an "unhealthy diet" (always calling Kimkins an ultra-low-carb, ultra-low-fat, ultra-low-calorie diet).

My response to these charges are that the plan I am following on Kimkins is K/E which is NOT calorie-restricted in any way. If it was, I wouldn't be doing it. But it ain't! Furthermore, while I am eating less fat now than I did on Atkins, it's only for the purpose of controlling calories. I eat a little more fat than Kimmer calls for, but not much.

Furthermore, I've been eating yogurt, sweet pickles, seeds, a little mayo for my salmon, a protein bar or shake here and there, an occasional low-carb wrap or bread, and coconut oil. Since I've been low-carbing a while, I KNOW what I can eat and still lose weight and have made appropriate modifications for ME.

The critics claim what I am doing is not Kimkins, but I disagree. The basics of my diet are indeed K/E and is the foundation of my diet. Even the late great Dr. Robert C. Atkins wanted people to customize his diet to their own needs by finding the appropriate carbohydrate balance to manage your weight. Anyone who says there is one way to lose weight is LYING to you! Do what's right for you and remain undetermined in your resolve.

That's where I am at the moment. Kimkins is working very well for me and I'm reaching my goal. But I'm being abandoned by some people I love and respect merely because I would dare say ANYTHING positive about Kimkins. It makes no sense to me and I'm just flabbergasted by how petty this issue has become. What is happening to the low-carb community?!

Okay, I'm done dumping today. I've got my interview with Kimmer coming up at my podcast show soon and I'll be recording that very soon. People want me to "get" Kimmer, but what's there to get? She's a remarkable woman who lost a bunch of weight and now is helping others do the same. What's so evil and vile about doing that? Still scratching my head on that one!

THANK YOU to all of you for supporting me in my Kimkins weight loss. You are a fabulous representation of what's GOOD about this diet and I won't have anyone ever tell me otherwise. If somebody doesn't like Kimkins, then they shouldn't do it. But I for one am glad it is an option for people who were "stuck" like me.

This post and the subsequent responses he got from people that write on his Kimkins journal thread really got me thinking. I am going to be getting together next week with a couple of parapros that worked in my sons class at school last year. They may or may not notice my weightloss. If they do, am I going to be able to tell them about Kimkins. See I'm not ashamed about this diet. I am excited and loving the losses! They are tremendous. But what I am concerned about is someone getting in my head right now and trying to talk me out of doing this program, with all the negative things they can say. Do you know what I mean?

Anyway I got to wonder, if this feeling, this fear that friends and familiy could possibly talk me out of this, or at least make me feel badly about Kimkins, IS THIS WHY I AM NOT TELLING ANYONE WHAT I AM DOING?